Shell Egypt achieves a major milestone with the discovery of a new offshore natural gas reservoir in the North East El-Amriya block in Egypt’s Mediterranean Sea.
The successful drilling of the first well, Mina West, at a depth of approximately 250 meters below sea level in the offshore Nile Delta, confirms the presence of a gas-bearing reservoir.
Collaborating with Stena Drilling, utilizing the Stena Forth rig, Shell Egypt is committed to reaching the development phase of the block, reinforcing its growth aspirations and contribution to Egypt’s energy landscape.
Shell Egypt has reached a significant milestone in its exploration endeavors with the identification of a new offshore natural gas reservoir in the North East El-Amriya block in Egypt’s Mediterranean Sea. The company disclosed this promising discovery in a statement.
The successful drilling of the first well, named Mina West, was part of Shell’s three-well exploration campaign in the North East El-Amriya block. The drilling activities took place at a water depth of approximately 250 meters below sea level in the offshore Nile Delta.
Initial data has confirmed the presence of a gas-bearing reservoir, prompting further evaluation to ascertain the size and recoverable potential of the discovery. Shell collaborated with Stena Drilling, utilizing their Mobile Offshore Drilling Unit (MODU), the Stena Forth rig, for the drilling campaign.
Khaled Kacem, Vice President and Country Chair of Shell Egypt, commented on the discovery, stating, “This discovery represents a significant step forward for Shell Egypt, reinforcing our growth aspirations and unwavering commitment as a key partner in Egypt’s energy landscape. Successfully delivering on our current exploration campaign is a cornerstone of Shell Egypt’s growth strategy. Shell, alongside its partners, will continue to work diligently and safely to reach the development phase of the block.”
In September of this year, Shell entered into a Farm-Out Agreement (FOA) with Kuwait Foreign Petroleum Exploration Company (KUFPEC), with KUFPEC acquiring a 40% stake in the North East El-Amriya block. Shell retained the remaining 60% share, held in partnership with the Egyptian Natural Gas Holding Company (EGAS).
This discovery marks a promising development for Shell Egypt’s exploration efforts and underscores the company’s commitment to expanding Egypt’s energy resources and contributing to the country’s economic growth.
If you see something out of place or would like to contribute to this story, check out our Ethics and Policy section.